Jeff Hartmann CIC
(Top Gun)
01/13/09 06:17 PM
Attachment
Another attempt at....

The flying car!

http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html

Saw this on the news this morning....and no, it hasn't flown yet.

At least it's not based on the Ford Pinto! (like before)

You wonder how it will be light enough for Light sport.(?)

John Cooper [KAVL]
(Top Gun)
01/13/09 09:16 PM
Re: Another attempt at....

Is that a NHTSA-approved 5MPH bumper in front?

sreyoB yrraL
(AVSIG Member)
01/13/09 10:21 PM

Just like with amphibious cars, I don't see how one vehicle can do a good job at being both car and an airplane. There are too many conflicting design goals.

Ralph Jones
(Top Gun)
01/13/09 10:38 PM

Sometimes there's ONE design goal: inducing people to invest in your scheme...;-)

Kcid LlirreM
(Top Gun)
01/14/09 08:27 AM

anyone that can get something like that thing past the FAA and NHTSA earned his money.

Joe Budge (W29)
(Top Gun)
01/14/09 08:36 AM

Quote:

anyone that can get something like that thing past the FAA and NHTSA earned his money.

Thus far there is no sign that they've done either...

Regards,
Joe

John Cooper [KAVL]
(Top Gun)
01/14/09 11:51 AM

Maybe we could have an "experimental" category for road vehicles?

Jeff Hartmann CIC
(Top Gun)
01/14/09 01:00 PM

I Like this one better, at least he calls this an enormous toy.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7821979.stm

Jeff Hartmann CIC
(Top Gun)
01/14/09 01:01 PM

Larreee,

>>>>Just like with amphibious cars<<<

I know someone with 2 amphicars, he said it is a bad boat, and a terrible car.

Ralph Jones
(Top Gun)
01/14/09 01:56 PM

Quote:

a bad boat, and a terrible car

Indeed...but this is a fun ride, at least <g>.

Jeff Hartmann CIC
(Top Gun)
01/14/09 02:25 PM

Quack,Quack Quack...

Sean Franklin
(Top Gun)
01/14/09 08:11 PM

Saw the booth at Oshkosh past 2 years. They have some VERY bright people doing the design, they were fairly swamped this year but in 2007 I spent a good bit of time talking to them and came away very impressed.

Their premise is that (a) you can take your airplane home with you, eliminating hangar expenses; and (b) you can fly VFR and land when necessary to drive through weather, eliminating the problem of being stuck somewhere for WX.

Point (b) strikes me as the "magic bullet" of this product. How many of us, prior to instrument ratings (or even with instrument ratings), have had to "cool our heels" somewhere on a trip for hours or days waiting for weather to improve? I remember coming home from St. Louis in a rented Skyhawk with a freshly-minted private cert in my wallet, and being stuck in Terre Haute, IN for several hours while my instructor's wife drove him there to help me fly home IFR. With this airplane, I'd have flown to Terre Haute and then just driven the rest of the way home myself, plus I'd have saved a lot of money in instructor fees & expenses.

Also imagine the $100 hamburger - you don't have to worry about crew car availability!

If you buy into the proposal that LSA will be a large segment of the aviation world, which means VFR by definition, then the TerraFugia offers utility that no other design can touch. Certainly they have TREMENDOUS challenges ahead, but I think these guys might just have what it takes to succeed where others have not.

Russell Holton
(AVSIG Member)
01/14/09 08:41 PM

Quote:

Their premise is that (a) you can take your airplane home with you, eliminating hangar expenses; and (b) you can fly VFR and land when necessary to drive through weather, eliminating the problem of being stuck somewhere for WX.

So rather then being a commuter car, it's aimed at being a more flexible airplane? That could work.

Now, what is TSA going to say about it when you try to drive it from the roads into the secure area? <g>

Sean Franklin
(Top Gun)
01/14/09 11:53 PM

Quote:

So rather then being a commuter car, it's aimed at being a more flexible airplane? That could work.

Absolutely. The manufacturer is very clear that this is a "Roadable airplane", not a "flying car". It's an airplane with added capabilities.

Russell Holton
(AVSIG Member)
01/15/09 12:39 AM

Quote:

this is a "Roadable airplane", not a "flying car".

Brings a whole new meaning to scud-running. <g>

Jeff Hartmann CIC
(Top Gun)
03/18/09 03:30 PM
Re: Amazing..it FLIES!

http://tinyurl.com/clvksa

Contact Us AVSIG