Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
09/25/15 11:46 AM
iOS 9 downloaded w/o asking

Apparently taking a page from the MS W10 playbook... I just checked available storage on my iPhone 5/iOS 8.3 and looked at what was taking up how much. Much to my surprise, there's iOS 9, which I think was 903MB. I've had 2 or 3 prompts saying it was available, dismissed them, have never checked what the changes in iOS 9 are in Settings|General|Software update, nada. (Btw, doing the latter with past updates IIRC may have initiated a download) Deleted the download, but on the not cool at all list...

jb

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
(Top Gun)
09/25/15 01:30 PM
Re: iOS 9 downloaded w/o asking

All of my devises asked. I tried on one first before allowing on others.

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
09/25/15 02:01 PM

Quote:

All of my devises asked. I tried on one first before allowing on others.

That's what's always happened before <shrug> Note that it was just downloaded, not installed, and if I hadn't been checking available storage and what was taking up space I wouldn't have known.

Just checked the iPad 4th gen, also iOS 8.3, nope, nothing there, nor have I been prompted, yet. As to iOS 9, no intention of installing it. It may work on older devices like the iPhone 5/iPad 4, but work well, as regards speed? I doubt it.

jb

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
(Top Gun)
09/25/15 02:16 PM

So far, from what I've seen it is faster and has some interesting, but not essential new features. Foreflight has suggested waiting. Some report some old apps aren't supported. But no major issues of which I'm hearing. I have an I phone 5 and an I Pad II and air.

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
09/25/15 03:04 PM

Hmmm, and it runs on the older ones as well as 8.x? I've seen more than several reports online about the install completely locking up various vintages of iStuff, requiring a restore from backup. We all back 'em up, right? ;-)

jb

Jeff Hartmann CIC
(Top Gun)
09/25/15 05:09 PM

I'm in the process, transferring contacts and photos now, of replacing my trusty antique Blackberry 9630 tour, for an I phone 6s.

It actually is only 7 dollars a month more, including payments. I had said I would pay the 300 to switch, and they said we just add it to your bill, but the access charge changes from 40/ month to 20, and the payment is 27....

Probably the first time I have been on the " cutting edge " of Apple technology!

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
(Top Gun)
09/25/15 07:24 PM

Let us know what you think!

Jeff Hartmann CIC
(Top Gun)
09/25/15 08:47 PM

I got back to the hotel and started looking at what I signed, sure hope it is like she explained, because that is not what I read with the paperwork..

By the way it opened with IOS 9 is ready to install....( I didn't )

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
09/25/15 09:24 PM

Quote:

I got back to the hotel and started looking at what I signed, sure hope it is like she explained, because that is not what I read with the paperwork..

Begin Dragnet theme now ;-) Hope that contract deal works out to your advantage.

May be best to hold off on iOS 9 for a bit, let things settle some. Methinks the thrill of being an early OS adopter should be behind most of us, now. Or not ;-)

I'd suggest doing a backup as it is, now, to a local computer, did I mention now? <g>

Enjoy what I've been reliably told is that really speedy A9 chip (color me green, he said enviously <g>)...

jb

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
09/27/15 08:23 AM

I always wait for at least the first patch.

Saw on one device (I have iPhone 5S and iPad Mini 2) that iOS 9.01 is ready. :)

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
(Top Gun)
09/27/15 01:29 PM

Yes, I have 9.01 on my devices.

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
(Top Gun)
09/27/15 11:35 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have 9.01 on my devices.

Dave - you may want to disable Siri...

link

Mac

Jeff Hartmann CIC
(Top Gun)
09/28/15 07:57 AM

>>>you may want to disable Siri...<<<

On the lock screen..

Sounds like it is an easy hack, like doing a Rubic's cube blindfolded....who sits around and thinks up this crap?

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
(Top Gun)
09/28/15 11:00 AM

Thanks. I only use a password when traveling. When I did the upgrade, I had to go through three different set ups turning off stuff they wanted on: location services, I cloud, password etc. I don't use any of that stuff except when traveling I will put in a password. I back up to my computer, not I cloud. Some how Apple screwed up my password when I got a new I-pad and I don't use it more than needed. Tried to change and they said the new one was being uses. I'll figure it out sometime, but it's just not worth spending a lot of time on now. It still grates on me that I need to enter a password to download free things including Foreflight upgrades.

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
(Top Gun)
09/28/15 12:12 PM

Quote:

who sits around and thinks up this crap?

Indeed. I haven't upgraded to iOS 9 but tried the hack on my iOS 8 iPhone. I believe it would've worked except for the fact that iOS 8 doesn't have the "share" option when entering a city on the clock screen. That must've been added in iOS 9.

But while following the hack "how to" I couldn't help thinking "how in the world did someone figure this out?"

Mac

Jeff Hartmann CIC
(Top Gun)
09/28/15 01:08 PM

I checked the box , just to be safe. No Siri from locked phone.

Rod Madsen (RDU)
(AVSIG Member)
09/28/15 01:11 PM

Dave, is your phone an iPhone5 or older? Mine is, and I'm wondering if I should do it.

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
(Top Gun)
09/28/15 03:16 PM

Yes Rod. I have a 5 but don't have a password right now. I checked and don't see where I have the option. If you use a password, that option may come up. I sometimes program passwords when traveling near former marines :) None around right now. My finger does twitch around former Naval Aviators, but I resist the temptation most times. If the war stories get toooo exaggerated, I program the phone.

Rod Madsen (RDU)
(AVSIG Member)
09/28/15 08:53 PM

I just installed it. Took 45 minutes to download and install. Seems to work OK>

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
10/01/15 05:52 PM

Quote:

But while following the hack "how to" I couldn't help thinking "how in the world did someone figure this out?"

Same way they used to find Easter eggs? Too much time... Btw, that "fix" assumes (in iOS 8.3 anyway) that Siri is already on. It was the first thing I turned off, so when it's off that lock option isn't available. Speaking of which, there's the simple (short numeric) passcode and the real deal. Don't get using the simple option <shrug>

If you want to consider a very doable OS X exploit, this guy found an interesting one. Very long and detailed article, may be of interest. I downloaded the app he wrote, which has amusing initials (which I'm guessing were intentional), that's available here.

jb

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
(Top Gun)
10/01/15 09:19 PM

Quote:

Speaking of which, there's the simple (short numeric) passcode and the real deal. Don't get using the simple option <shrug>

Guilty <sheepish shrug> I opted for convenience when it was necessary to unlock the phone all the time. Now I can just rest my thumb on the home button, so I don't have that excuse anymore. I do wonder if my disembodied finger would work and, if so, what the implications are.

Will check out the OS X vulnerability (just installed El Cap).

Mac

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
10/01/15 09:45 PM

Quote:

I do wonder if my disembodied finger would work and, if so, what the implications are.

You'd hope it'd have to still be warm, but that could be done too, I'd guess ;-)

Dunno if the dylib exploit applies to El Cap (you'd think Apple might pay attention, but...), be interested as to what your experiences are with the update.

jb

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
(Top Gun)
10/01/15 10:22 PM

Quote:

be interested as to what your experiences are with the update.

I glazed over pretty early in the article but the scan turned up 118 vulnerabilities (no hijacked apps). About 30% xCode, 30% Java virtual machine, 5% Microsoft Office, and the rest miscellaneous.

The update seems benign. I like the window management features (although MS Office apps won't cooperate [yet?]).

Mac

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
10/01/15 11:22 PM
Attachment

Quote:

I glazed over pretty early in the article...

I found skipping over every other paragraph and pretending I understood the others useful ;-) There's a conclusion that sums it up. The only thing the DHS app found on this Mac (Yosemite 10.10.5) was in iMovie, InternalFiltersXPC. Not too worried, but he makes a convincing (and explicit how-to) case for it being a problem <shrug>

I like benign, just tired of finding out otherwise, Mac or Win ;-) And I'd hate to lose the hack for the login screen that replaces that seriously creepy Yosemite deal (username deleted)<g>

jb

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
10/02/15 07:20 AM

Just noticed a few days ago, iOS 9.0.2 is available.

Hmm, seems like waiting was a GOOD idea. :)

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
10/02/15 02:42 PM
Attachment

Quote:

Just noticed a few days ago, iOS 9.0.2 is available.

Hmm, seems like waiting was a GOOD idea. :)

Saw that pop-up on the phone too, still not interested. Agree on waiting: my days of being an early adopter are long past ;-)

About the original issue, still don't know why it downloaded (and I'm positive I never did it intentionally) but may have a clue as to the process.

Looking for the "difference that makes the difference" between the iPhone and iPad I realized I had all notifications turned off on the iPad. I'd assumed (ooops) that the notifications were just a cosmetic reminder. Beginning to think that if they're turned off, the device doesn't check, period. If I go the app store I can see what apps need updating, and do that. Checking Software Update on the device will look for system updates (I havenít done the latter).

Hmmm, guess what's on my iPhone now:

Irritating...

jb

Russell Holton
(AVSIG Member)
10/02/15 03:24 PM

Dang. I remember when getting a 1GB drive on a desktop was a BFD. Now, a OS update for a mobile device will take most of that.

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
10/02/15 03:38 PM

Quote:

Dang. I remember when getting a 1GB drive on a desktop was a BFD. Now, a OS update for a mobile device will take most of that.

I think about that too, sometimes. My still-functional SE/30 has a 40MB HD ;-)

jb

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
10/04/15 08:36 PM

Quote:

Our first computer, for our business, had a WHOPPING, 105MB drive. And 2MB of RAM.

Contact Us AVSIG