Mac Tichenor (DAL)
(Top Gun)
08/31/15 06:54 PM
Attachment
AOG - DAL

This three-engine Royal Navy conveyance has been grounded for almost a week at Dallas Love Field for "autopilot problems." I'm sure some of you can identify the make. It's one of three ships parked on the ramp of the FBO I use, where the lobby is full of young Brits in rugby jerseys waiting for the repairs to be completed. They're based in California (Point Magu?).

Mac

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
(Top Gun)
08/31/15 09:07 PM
Attachment
Re: AOG - DAL

Mac -- I think that's the RN tribe that I talked to at ILM about 2 weeks ago (another breakdown). They were heading to the "desert" in CA. Apparently the helicopters were hand-me-downs from the RAF. They could have gotten there driving faster. <G>

(No, the picture below is really about the helicopters, and not the nice looking 210 middle-left....)

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
(Top Gun)
09/01/15 01:21 PM

>>another breakdown<< So this squadron of British naval personnel is limping its way across the US in broken-down (breaking-down) equipment? Their defense dollars at work, I guess. They had moved on by this morning.

Mac

p.s., very nice looking 210, indeed.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
(Top Gun)
09/01/15 04:51 PM

Mac -- They had RAF engineers with them on the ramp at ILM to help with the repairs (I guess they hadn't left Cherry Point for home yet when the call for "all hands" went out); maybe those blokes are back in England and missing the fun in Dallas.

Bill Bridges - 9S1
(Top Gun)
09/01/15 07:53 PM

From time to time I would have to ferry aircraft from Ft. Sill to Ft. Ord with a fuel stop at Nellis. On more than one occasion I developed maintenance issues at Nellis that required a couple of days to be repaired. Just bad luck I guess? :-))

the other bill

Tom Charlton
(Top Gun)
09/01/15 09:40 PM

Quote:

The other Bill posted:
. . . maintenance issues at Nellis that required a couple of days to be repaired. Just bad luck I guess? :-))

Hi Bill,
Hope your bad luck turned to good while in town awaiting repairs<g>.

Regards,
Tom Charlton (who’s never been much of a gambler but still enjoy an occasional visit to Lost Wages)

Ralph Jones
(Top Gun)
09/01/15 09:43 PM

Depends on how good your other luck was <g>.

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
(Top Gun)
09/01/15 10:07 PM

Seemed to be a lot of topographical bachelors there and some bases I visited.

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
09/02/15 06:05 AM

Quote:

Seemed to be a lot of [bold]topographical bachelors

there and some bases I visited.

GREAT term.

I had not heard that before.

At the MNieGIG, someone remind me to tell the XC stories of a fellow A-10 driver.

Kcid LlirreM
(Top Gun)
09/02/15 06:00 PM

I was once told by a C-124 C chief that a few straight pins in the plug wires would cause an unacceptable mag drop, but it could always be fixed with a 24-48 hour lay-over!

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
(Top Gun)
09/03/15 12:33 PM

Quote:

At the MNieGIG, someone remind me to tell the XC stories of a fellow A-10 driver.

Oh I think we can plan on that!

Contact Us AVSIG