Ray Tackett
(Top Gun)
05/22/09 11:51 AM
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems

Roger,

Quote:

looking at the end of the rwy but I was too high from the ground and I messed it up making altitude corrections.

Don't get caught up in "landing expectation", especially this early in your training. Absent an emergency in which you get only one shot, landing is optional. If you don't like what's happening, GO AROUND! Go-arounds should be part of your training anyhow.

When I say "don't like what's happening", I really mean "don't like". You do not need a tangible reason such as being off altitude. If anything makes you uncomfortable about a landing, whether you know what it is or not, go around.

There are way too many mishaps caused by pilots trying to salvage a botched approach or a misjudged flare. If you read the thousands of NTSB reports about landing mishaps, you will see "collided with terrain", "collided with the ground", "collided with trees", etc. You will never see "collided with the sky".

My final landing on my private pilot checkride involved two go-arounds. There was a gusty crosswind plus "checkride nerves" which led to "arrivals" I did not want to finish. Each time, the examiner praised my judgement for going around. The landing I completed was a perfect textbook demonstration of a crosswind landing.

Ray

Contact Us AVSIG