Richard Duxbury (Dux)
(Top Gun)
06/30/14 08:22 PM
Re: KBZN

Ah BZN Montana

Located on what I seem to remember in the Galiton Gap Southwest from Billings.

Long runway -but not too wide.

One of my first trips as a new B-727 Captain and a night landing (good weather).

Well, we stopped well short of the end and I turned off right -only to find immediate signs of a closed taxiway.

Oops, -we talked a bit and decided that if we could do powerbacks , we could power back to the runway and then go to the open taxiway. No traffic at all at the airport.

So we did that, and nobody seemed to notice, perhaps thinking it was just some minor reverse stuff on the runway?

OK, did not mention that to the Chief Pilot (which after a bit more experience and the startup of the ASAP program I would have submitted for sure). Circa 1986?

Had a long overnight with the crew -and did not leave until the next afternoon -again back to Billings/MSP/ORD/MSP.

Mountain flying with Northwest was part of the game. In good weather it was special stuff -and in bad weather, ..well just know where the mountains are during approach and departures. Ah, Bozeman, Billings, Butte, Eagle Colorado, GTF, and a lot more. Oh of course the Capital, Helena. Forgot the name of the big airport that was home for the smoke jumpers and University.

I think the best mountain aircraft for Northwest was the L-188, but I just missed the copilot class and was a 727 FE. Bad luck-since I was coming from a USN P-3 assignment.

Regards,

Dux

Contact Us AVSIG