Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
(Top Gun)
06/15/17 11:11 PM
Re: Class E Airspace Question

Quote:

I told 'em that, first, if it's good VFR where I'm at, it wouldn't occur to me to check the weather at a non-towered airport six or seven miles away. But even if I did for some reason, and found out it was zero-zero there, it wouldn't prompt me to request any sort of ATC clearance, so long as I was confident I could remain VFR after departure.

Some *accomplished* pilots (remember them?) might haul out a sectional before departure to see what manner of airspace overlies the departure airport. ;-) Some of those would note that it's a Class E surface area....which ought to prompt some curiosity as to the weather at the Class E surface area airport. All good things to learn on a pre-departure briefing.

Now, even with that knowledge, I myself am not convinced that the regs require the departing VFR pilot to talk to any controlling ATC facility (SVFR or otherwise)....but I think the language of 91.155 and 91.157 are better interpreted to require SVFR in the situation you mentioned.

And, yes, fun to get into the regs like this. Good to be back discussing such topics!

Contact Us AVSIG